And whoever of you desires to be first shall be slave of all. (Mark 10:44)
- James and John, two disciples of Jesus, asked to be at His right and left hand in His kingdom. The other 10 disciples were greatly displeased with them for asking, possibly because they wanted that kind of position too! The disciples were struggling for supremacy and greatness; they wanted the highest positions in the kingdom.
- But Jesus used the opportunity to teach them about another kind of life, one of serving others. He said, “Whoever desires to become great among you shall be your servant. And whoever of you desires to be first shall be slave of all”.
- It appears that service for others is God’s design for us. Even Jesus, the Son of God, did not come to be served, but to serve.
- As we look at Christ’s example and depend on the Holy Spirit’s help, we too can be servants and will create a fulfilling life.
- The most direct way to experience a fuller life is to serve God and help people.