Friday, May 8, 2009

Walking Around Town



I remembered a few years ago when I started walking around town, it took me more than an hour and a half to complete my round. I had to stop often and each stop took me longer and longer time to recover. I panted a lot, sweating profusely and smelled awful. I could often hear my deep and heavy breaths and my face must have turned super red. My shoulder ached most of the time and my limbs just refused to obey me. My hip was extraordinary heavy and painful. I wondered each time when I stopped, whether my legs muscles could bear my weight any longer... Oh! how awful I would be if I collapse on the roadside.

I had always thought that walking was easy, but then I realized just how heavy I was. My wife spurred me on by slowly walking beside me and gave me encouraging words.

We had practiced for days and the pains became more bearable. We slowly learned that we had to walk straight to reduce the pains and our heel must hit the ground first. We had to swing our arms as we walked briskly and breathing naturally fast.

After our walking session, we slept like a log and we often needed some days to recover. But after some months, walking had become a daily routine and we really enjoyed it and looked forward to it. And after a year or so later, we were able to complete our round in 40 minutes non-stop.

These days, we still continue walking. But we limit it to our surrounding housing estates. We no longer enjoy walking around town because we just can't bear the heavy traffic, the hot weather, and the many greeting hands along the way.

3 comments:

Mandy said...

I walk 42 minutes a day, but not in one stretch. It is just the normal walking I do to get to work each day. I really should walk more or exercise!

Karen, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry" said...

Your town looks quite different from mine. I'd love to see more pictures of it. My husband and I like to walk around our neighborhood too on nice days.

Salute said...

My and husband and I like to walk through the malls, because it so danger to walk the town.

Get Paid for Browsing the Internet with LogiPTC Sign up for PayPal and start accepting credit card payments instantly.